Joan Phillips was a Highway Woman in the 1680s.
She and her partner Edward Bracey ran away together. The ended up as Highway Robbers on the Loughborough Road near Nottingham. She passed herself off as a man; apparently no one else in their gang knew she was a woman!
She was caught, tried at the Shire Hall (now the Galleries of Justice) and hanged at the junction where the Loughborough Road leaves Nottingham in West Bridgford.
Christy Fearn as Joan Phillips at the Galleries of Justice Museum, Nottingham, UK.
- 'Framed' : Christy Fearn's historical novel about the revolt of the Luddites
- 'Framed' on Facebook
- Pinterest Boards: Lord Byron Mania, Regency Things
- Interview by Elaine Aldred
- Interview in the Evening Post
- The Guardian article by Christy Fearn
- Interview about Market Square protests